The headlight switch problem in Ford F250 isn’t very frequent, but the issue may arise anytime. This’s really frustrating when you are driving at night but can’t see clearly what is in front of you. The malfunction of the switch may result in the headlight blinking, no manual control, none of the lights working, etc.
What are the Ford F250 headlight switch problems? Loose connections, switching between modes, and switch failure are some of the common issues that users complain about Ford F250 headlight switch. Don’t worry, you can fix these problems easily. Before that, it’s important to figure out the exact reason behind the bad headlamp switch of the car.
This article will guide you through all the potential causes of faulty headlight switches on Ford F250 vehicles with their troubleshooting. Let’s read on to get the hacks!
Most Common Ford F250 Headlight Switch Problems?
Headlight plays an important role to see the front of the road at night while you’re driving. But unexpected headlight switch issues may hinder the process. The major headlight switch problems of the Ford F250 include-
- Loose connections
- Modes changing issue
- Switch failure
3 Solutions Of The ford f250 headlight switch issue
You now know the possible issues with the Ford F250 truck headlight switch. It’s time to discuss the troubleshooting methods so you can fix your headlight switch by yourself.
#1. Loose Connections
Sometimes connections between the switch and headlight might be loosened. This may happen due to excessive vibration or pressure on the switch. It will interrupt to light up the headlight as a result.
Thus, light works or not works sometimes, that’s really troublesome. And even the headlamp mightn’t be turned off suddenly. So, how to solve this?
- Step 1: At first, remove the switch.
- Step 2: Then, inspect the circuit to figure out the loose connection cable.
- Step 3: Tighten the loose wire correctly.
If the connection gets loosened, you can restore it without any cost. But if the cables burned, you should take help from the electrician or mechanic to fix the issue. And it may require a few bucks to fix the burning portions.
#2. Modes Changing Issue
This is one of the widely held problems with the Ford F250 headlight switch. Due to damage or faulty switch parts, the switch may work in a certain mode. When you try to change mode, this mightn’t work.
This issue happens mainly when you try to engage in the high beam mode. The damaged switch may activate the high beam mode sometimes, but the faulty switch can’t do it.
So, how to fix the issue?
- Step 1: If you face a problem changing between modes, it’s wise to have the car to a mechanic for inspection to find out what’s wrong there.
- Step 2: Either he/she repairs the headlight switch or replaces it.
Depending upon the severity of the problem, it may require 30 to 100 bucks to repair or replace the Ford F250 headlight switch.
#3. Switch Failure
When none of the lights of the headlight turns on this is an indication that the switch is completely failed. In this case, you have to replace the switch as early as possible. So, how to replace the Ford F250 headlight switch?
Items you need to replace the headlight switch are-
- New Ford F250 headlight switch
- 7mm socket
- Inner trim removal tool set (optional)
- Ratchet and extension (optional)
Here we’re explaining the method of replacing the headlight switch for the 2013 Ford F250 vehicle.
- Step 1: Firstly, remove the knee panel of the car. You can do it easily by putting your fingers behind it and pulling it towards you.
- Step 2: Now unscrew the 7 mm screw using the 7 mm socket. The screw is situated around the instrument panel and on the right of the bezel.
- Step 3: After that, take apart the panel from where you just removed the screw. But no need to remove the panel completely.
- Step 4: Then remove the trim panel i.e. the headlight bezel. You can do it by grabbing under the dash panel.
- Step 5: Afterward, remove the electrical connectors from the bezel. You need to push down the tab to do it.
- Step 6: Now detach the failed switch pulling it toward you. While doing this, hold the bezel firmly.
- Step 6: After removing the old switch, it’s time to reinstall the new one. Line it up and snap it correctly. And make sure the switch is working well.
- Step 7: Now reverse the process. Install all the retainer panels one by one including the 7mm screw.
So, the replacement process is very easy. But the method may vary a bit depending on the models. For example, if you want to replace the 1999-2004 Ford F250 headlight switch, you can do it just by removing the headlight switch bezel. This video explains the process.
You can do it alone without an expert’s help. F250 Ford headlight switch replacement is available between 40 to 60 bucks where only the knob’s price is $5 to $10. Before purchasing the switch make sure, it fits with your Ford F250 model.
The following video explains the process of replacing the 2013 Ford F250 headlight switch.
Pro Tips: When you’re replacing the headlight switch, it’s recommended to check other lights and switches especially when a mechanic is doing it.
How Much Does It Cost To Rebuild Ford F250 Headlight Switch?
The cost to replace the Ford F250 headlight switch may vary depending on the model of the car and the charge of the mechanic. According to yourmechanic.com, you need to spend $120 to replace the switch where $25 is the parts price and $95 is the labor cost.
But the parts price is quite high at present. According to our research, nowadays parts price varies between $40 to $60. If you need to replace the switch knob only, it’s available between 5 to 10 bucks. Here is a table for your easy understanding.
|Cost Type||DIY Cost||Mechanic Cost|
|Parts Price||$40 to $60||$40 to $60|
|Labor Cost||$0||$50 to $100|
|Total Cost||$40 to $60||$90 to $160|
frequently asked questions (FAQs)
So, you have already gotten a clear idea of the faulty Ford F250 headlight switch. However, more questions may pop into your mind. Here we’ve covered a few of them with their answers.
Can I repair Ford F250 headlight switch?
Yes, in most cases it’s possible to repair the F250 headlight switch. But you must have some basic electrical knowledge and skills. If you are interested to do that this video might help you. However, if you’re not confident, you can go for replacing it.
What to do if the headlight switches plastic bezel snaps?
The plastic switch bezel may break accidentally if your knee hit it. The bezel replacement is available for 20 bucks. Alternatively, you can use ties to hold the bezel in place.
Ford F250 headlight switch problems may happen for many reasons such as internal failure or accidents. This is really weird if the headlight switch won’t work in dim light or at nighttime when you need it badly. So, it’s important to repair or replace the faulty headlamp switch of your Ford F250 truck as soon as possible.
Hopefully, our guidelines will help you to fix the problem perfectly. And don’t forget to monitor the headlight switch regularly while inspecting the whole car.
If you want to read more helpful guide about ford f250, place check out this post below: